Friday, December 23, 2011


      The Green Belt Movement in Kenya has planted forty five million trees in an attempt to prevent advancing desert.  Since 1982 the Chinese government claims to have planted forty billion trees, many of them  as a green wall against the Gobi.  Years ago I wanted to work on the pipe line that took oil from the North of Alaska to the South of Alaska.  I thought it a marvelous enterprise and a great adventure.

 
     Increasingly I have come to think that one of the troubles with the "grand scheme" might be "who benefits."  Which is probably why more recently the expression "Public/Private partnership" suggests no more to me than  "Someone will get richer for no good reason."  I didn't always think this way. And I wonder when my downfall began.  Probably by the pyramids at Giza.  



No comments: