Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rosebuds


      There are some who will see in "gather ye rosebuds while ye may," a call to activity before time flies because  "this fair flower that blooms today tomorrow will be dying."

      But these shorter days, for those of us who find ourselves in bed by seven thirty and still in bed twelve hours later, accrue benefits I'll call "well-rested."  A condition which is I agree thoroughly subjective, until one realizes a full throated cardiac exercise by climbing stairs. And it is a condition, I will suggest, the more moral amongst us are unable to appreciate except through worry.


      Which I guess is why the "rosebud gathering crowd" see in the expression "well-rested" that sort of bone idleness that leads to graffiti and wanton acts of shopping for seeds through the mail order internet.  

     I, however, like to think of "well-rested" as a  "time for contemplation".  And while I accept the thin line between "wantonness" and "contemplation" I will insist that "well-rested" is a discipline which in order to master requires a twenty or thirty year learning curve and should therefore, be without sin.
 

No comments: