Monday, January 16, 2012

Running Bean


     It smelled like damp springtime outside, and a Turkey agreed. But we are both delusional. He with his mind on girl Turkey and me with my mind on Running Beans.

    Not a big fan of Running Beans. They are demanding and secretive and spend much of their time wandering around looking for things to cling to.  The result is a series of Rabbit hutches in the garden that look like teepees. Which is ornamental for Rabbit I suppose, until the wind blows, or there is something like a tornado.  And too, I am suspicious of pyramidal shapes, because I was once told they can sharpen razor blades, or perhaps improve memory, or maybe reduce gestation times.  Either way, here where I live, Super Rabbit we already have.

    The Artist, for reasons I am sure she has explained, has waxed upon a variety of Running Bean, which is of Italian origin, fashionable amongst the dainty, and has myriad links within the internet which I have made the mistake of visiting.  This Running Bean, if given a chance and purchased by the kilogram, would apparently feed cities, it is almost completely immune to drought, requires no special care, is bountiful if picked regularly, string-less if picked young, and Bean Beetle are terrified of it. It has a green pod and black seeds and what is called 'excellent flavor.' 

     But I am sure, before this pest finds its way into the Kingdom, there will be critical thinking and at least some attempt at that dourness so necessary for an emotionally successful  gardening season.


No comments: