Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Plump



    In their description of Quail, many have used the phrase 'chunky birds.'  And often the word 'plump,' appears somewhere near the beginning of more whimsical sentences.   I think of the word 'plump' as primarily a culinary expression.  "A plump Peacock," for example, suggests a fragrant gravy to me, and I am fairly convinced I can hear the word 'sage,' and smell 'bacon,' and I can hear the groans of those downstairs assigned to polishing silver and who will never see a wish bone with flesh upon it.


      But I am inclined toward the word 'game' when thinking about Quail, which here in Kentucky are Northern Bobwhite.  Nor will I describe them as either 'chunky' or 'plump' or 'chicken-like.'   They are ground nesting birds, their lives are short, a year or three at best, and of the thirty odd eggs a female can lay in the course of her season, very few survive the two long weeks it takes a chick to find enough food to grow into flight.  Yet there they are, out there, in the outdoors, where Rat Snake prowl, Fox Squirrel sunbath, as well as a morning Possum impatient for Tomato to ripen.
 

No comments: