Tuesday, October 9, 2012

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan



     I am certain that mention of De Quincey or Grasmere produces anguish and yawning in more than a few.   I am also aware that perhaps only to my mind does the turn of the Eighteenth Century into the Nineteenth Century better reflect the conundrum facing the current generations.  As well, I realize how incredibly incoherent I can begin to sound while contained within the rhapsody of words.  This is no "Host of Daffodil." And for certain I am not "lonely as a cloud." And "Kubla Khan" in his "Xanadu" can kiss my arse.  Consider it a familiar ailment, if you wish to, but surely it's possible to take some joy from De Quincey's expression "stomach and its attachments."  It makes me look downward and think of the creature that dominates the rest of me. A moment or two that turns me tedious, and thank goodness I have one external origin I can point to.  And no need for me to invent this demon's most recent name because it's shining like the wind from Troy "that cast Ulysses... upon the coast of the Cicons," and it's called, "Direct Deposit." 


     The idea of it produces this question from me for De Quincey and Grasmere in general, "In your day did factory workers get paid at the end of their work in cash money or did they have to go through the ordeal of filling out a form so that an invisible coin might be transfered into an invisible vault."   I'd reckon, De Quincey at least, would enter a note or two on the origin of coin as a means of exchange, and see "direct deposit" as an aspect of  progress, and by so doing he'd further dismiss the exchange of mere labor as deserving of any intimacy, or comradeship, or brotherhood or any such emotional "attachment" no matter the stomach's location, which in my case is somewhere in Seattle, or was, but which might just as well be on the other side of the moon.  As well De Quincey was a man who believed in the authority of a ruling class, so his instinct would be to think "what business is it of yours to decide how your betters reward you."   Which makes a person wonder where Xanadu might be, and which is why the leap year of 1812 is increasingly a better reflection of the leap year of 2012. 


No comments: