Monday, December 17, 2012

Alignments of Meaning


   Triple anti-biotic ointment is more effective against  a "biotic" than is single anti-biotic ointment.   And there might have been a time when I would take such an assumption as having a basis in something vaguely resembling a fact.  Now days, I am inclined to curl the lip, because I have learned that much in the world is the work of an ambition unsullied by pursuit of the authentic, and is instead invented to suit a lounge chair whim, or is in support of nefarious motive.


   Indeed if I hear "real" or "natural" or "whole" or "original" or "guaranteed" or "Merry Christmas" or "Virgin Olive Oil" or "Legislative Body" or  "Juried Art"  or "Blog Spot" or "Face Book" or "Twitter" or "Christian Book Shop" or "Constitutional Lawyer" or "Supreme Court Justice" I am inclined to leap for the assumption that I am subject to an infernal attack by forces determined to completely liberate me from the meaning of words as I might have once understood them. Which is the sort of thing that makes old farts harp on about "Precision in Language," and the end of civilization as we know it.


No comments: