Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Numlexia

     "Dyscalculia" is a mental disorder that sometimes is called "numlexia."  A difficulty with numbers, as opposed to  "dyslexia" which is difficulty with written words.  Of course professionals adhere to a theory that runs this way, "The more complicated our words the more important we appear and therefore the more contented we can become."    Which is why I'll think of the word "Dyscalculia" through the Greek and Latin where it translates as "counting badly."  And having wandered considerable distances through literature on the subject of "counting badly" I am able to say with some degree of confidence that "I am dyscalcic."  Which is not actually a word that you'll find written anywhere respectable, unless you also share with me that other mental disorder of "reading badly."

   Quite why I spend more time than is healthy casting an oar into the incredibly long list of mental disorders, I am not certain I really wish to know.  It becomes the mind's equivalent to a medical encyclopedia, through the pages of which it is easy to wonder and come away determined to do something useful in the two days of life or sanity which remain.   The alternative of course is to pretend there is nothing identifiably wrong with me, that I am the standard by which others should be compared.  It's philosophers and thinkers, God and his priests, scientists and their students who struggle with  the view that all  things within the panoply have a reason or a 'because' attached to them.  Which is a disorder you can call 'intellect' if you wish to. 


No comments: