Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Two Legged-ness

I have to think that Mountain Goats, which have four pointy feet, are better at climbing and at leaping than are members of my own species. And I have seen Baboon, who are eminently capable of clambering around in a most agile manner. So the idea of us as evolving two legged-ness as a response to change in terrain due to volcanic activity strikes me as really rather absurd.  And I am sure if the actual article in The Journal of Archaeology was subscription free, I might be persuaded otherwise.

 The duty on me as an observer of two legged-ness is to adhere to the idea of it emerging in us during the period our ancestors attempted to reacquaint themselves with water.  This theory is variously titled, but 'Aquatic Ape' suffices to summarize it for me, and it's very far from a perfect theory, unless I can think of bountiful lakes in tropical setting, surrounded by sturdy trees in which to build sleeping nests. And I guess I would also have to argue that my own reluctance to go near any kind of water could be a matter of a genetic regression to the 'pre-Aquatic Ape' period of our species and therefore no fault of mine.

No comments: