Monday, May 13, 2013

Weather Bulletin

The late afternoon of May 12th 2013, less that six weeks this side of mid summer's day, and a frost advisory issued by the National Weather Service.  It's these sorts of dramatic moments that pulls a mind into closer and closer affinity with the men and women of the weather service. It's their opportunity to express emotion in their prose, wax lyrical, share mood.  EER was unusually blunt: "Sensitive outdoor plants may be killed if left uncovered."  I heard relish and keen anticipation in his voice, and I don't know about you, but I suspect EER is not person who likes his vegetables.

JH, who I am convinced grows his tomato on a balcony somewhere, offered: "Potted plants normally left outdoors should be covered or brought inside away from the cold." I could hear the nervousness, see the telephone call to a grandmother and the worry.  But for understatement, and pure cocktail drinking calm, a person had to go to  Geogerian/Dusty, my own  hero of the National Weather Service: "Those with agricultural interests may consider taking precautions to protect tender vegetation."  Myself, I thought the frost last night, "Spiteful and inconsiderate."  The Artist for her part, called it a "A farewell love pat, because nobody was hurt."

No comments: