Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pitt the Younger

When I was considerably more agile than I am today, and here I am talking capable of climbing both ropes and monkey bars, I thought 'Shucking' was an American word for something rather unsavory.  The expression, "We shucked the corn," was one I reckoned upon learning more about as I aged. And I reckoned also that the part of the world which spoke American English was clearly more open minded and pluralistic than the part of the world in which I lived, because "shucking corn," often engaged more than two people, as well as 'Junior.'

It was a stubbornness of mind, a single tracked-ness of thinking that kept the word "shuck" in its place. Not once did it occur to me that in a land where black people and white people were required to use different parts of the bus and different toilet seats, there could be so liberal an attitude to pedophilia, sodomy  and orgiastic behavior around harvest time.  Of course I am also one of those minds in whom still dwells the certain knowledge that I will go to my grave with the word 'maize' for 'corn' because 'corn' means 'wheat.' And naturally until then, I'll have  absolutely nothing good to say about the form 'Junior'  for the noble title of 'Younger.' 

No comments: