Saturday, November 2, 2013

Pursuit of Happiness

As a member of a species amongst whom tool making figures high on the list of apparent achievement, I have to think of Winter Solstice as falling into the category of tool making.  Granted I do not make Winter Solstice.  It preexists me as a creation of mind, a true thing within the context of an understanding of true things.  Winter Solstice is something I believe. And it has value to me, as a means to put calendar into the year. On December the twenty third, daytime in the northern hemisphere will be just that little bit longer than daytime on December twentieth. A thought I find "happy making."  Of course, the unfortunate in somewhere like Canberra, might look upon that same day of December twenty third as "sad making" because for them, daytime will be just that little bit shorter. And as a member of a species amongst whom tool making figures high on the list of apparent achievement, I have to think of  this weekend's "messing with the hour" here in the USA as yet one more conceptual impediment to an understanding of Winter Solstice as a tool. 

 Much, much better to redesign the mechanics of time keeping devices so that no matter the latitude, daytime and nighttime are always represented as equal.  As the sun fades at six o'clock, I'd go to sleep, as the sun rises at six o'clock I too would rise. A more perfect and simple  union I cannot conceive of.  So far our species has attempted to achieve something like this by the fascistic imposition of daylight upon us through such thoroughly inadequate diversions as The Whale Oil Lamp, The Candle, The Electric Grid, and the list goes on to include a multitude of follies not least of which is such television  programming as "Dancing with the Stars."  And here, if like me, you are wholly confused by the meaning of the word "Stars" in the context of this television program, some "happy making" can be gained from understanding that the "Stars" are the least coordinated and most flat-footed of the dancing pair. And if you are very fortunate these qualities in "Star" are compounded by what I guess might be called "heaviness."  In the end, I suppose, and despite promises to the opposite, I would do better to dwell upon the possibilities of a medical break through that would provide for the social acceptance of Hibernation rather than Alcohol as the final solution to the Holiday season.

No comments: