Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Titans and Olympians

I think it safe to say that of the ancient poets, Pindar was less likely to use curse words. Not for him the big rant. And he preferred his poems be accompanied by music and dance, which to my mind at least introduces what I'd call a 'madrigal' or 'pun' quality to his words that puts me firmly on the side of the Titans.  So for a long time my own attempt to read the translations of Pindar's  poems where often interrupted by a nagging sneer accompanied by a "who gives a damn about the boys long foot race," and "you have to think that Hippolces of Thessaly must have lied about his age in order to participate in the boys long foot race,"  and "Big deal if Perseus could cut the heads of monstrous creatures," and "Maybe I do have a grudging respect for the Hyperborean's, because anyone who can live much further north than southern Kentucky can't be all bad."

Of course now that I am old, I fully realize how easily words and sentences can be misunderstood by anyone persuaded to read them,  and this is especially the case when those words and sentences are no more than  little snippets within a wider context of meaning.  Nor does Russell's' concern with the precision of language being the future of philosophy really help me to concentrate my own thoughts. And all of this is a rather long way of saying Titans are old farts, set in their ways, obsessing on their bowel movement.  Olympians are lithe wonderful creatures that see promise in just about everything.  And the point about the Titan's dismembering and then eating Dionysius, it was to my mind, the Titan's attempt to become more like the Olympians.  Something which I can you assure never did and never will happen, no matter the meal.  And if you want to know why, it's better for us Titans that we be authentic than it is to pretend we like snow, otherwise we find ourselves tromping around in the arctic wishing we'd had the foresight to dig the grave when it was still possible to.

No comments: