Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Hiatus

Hiatus is from the Latin "to gape."  And in English what hiatus means is "a gap."   An interruption  in the flow of things.  A break from continuity. Which is kind of interesting because I always thought that hiatus meant something like "going nuts." A bunch of people rushing around like maniacs and behaving  poorly around things like beer or doing horrible things to Roses with golf clubs. And I keep going back to the dictionary of words, because very often a word in my mind has taken on a path of meaning that is only faintly reflected by the commandment of dictionaries. As well, I have always thoroughly distrusted anyone who takes their meaning of words entirely from the dictionary.  It implies a mind that is stuck in a moment, a mind that is static, constrained and made content by a kind of pedantry that is a frightfully clever clockwork as well as anal retentive. And I guess we all need our concrete edge, I know I have mine.

However I am about to embark upon a "Hiatus." A break, an interruption in flow, a gap and indeed in my meaning of hiatus, during the hiatus, I might even revert to aspects of the Latin word, hiatus. Another of the more distressing parts of a hiatus, is I guess the Hiatus Prelude, and it's during Hiatus Prelude that I'd suggest Plato's advice on the "beginning of things," comes into play. "They too," he argued, "are a god."  Which in my mind has always referred to attitude, and attitude is essentially an answer to the question Why? And here, we who are, shall we say 'uniquely adjusted' rather than 'weird,' tend to have to gaze into the eyes of psychiatry when answering the question Why to the satisfaction of others. All of which sounds like Emerson, which is, I hope you'll agree, deeply, deeply depressing. So I am really, really looking forward to the next four days as me. And I'll call it Hiatus.

2 comments:

Gin said...

I wish you well. And just remember, this, too, shall pass.

Gin said...

See, I told you it would pass. :) Bet home never looked so good.