Monday, August 25, 2014

Turkey Vulture and the Compost Pile Naming Process

Quite a number of years ago, there was a big wind that took out trees and caused considerable trepidation. The wind was I believe called a Derecho. It  interrupted the electric for a considerable period of time, but this wasn't a winter wind, it was a hot weather summer wind and it came with an aggressive warm rain. In the aftermath, a Turkey Vulture, which I myself thought was kind of a young Turkey Vulture, because he had a sort of puppy look, had somehow got himself so confused he was perched on the then Compost Pile and appeared to have no intention of leaving. Naturally I thought him injured and in need of sustenance. I ran through the possibilities. Without the electric, and always a good chance the generator would fail, the content of the refrigerator was at risk, and I knew of a package containing six sage and pork sausages that a young Turkey Vulture in a difficult circumstance might appreciate. There was of course debate, the well was out, it was incredibly hot, helicopters flying over head surveying damage, and this was long before Saint Teresa made her appearance, so there was a great deal of digging of holes and that sort of activity.

It's a survivalist attitude which I guess begins to dominate, so I gave consideration to possibly giving our Turkey Vulture just one sage and pork sausage. It also occurred to me that probably in their search for food, Turkey Vulture follow scent. Their choice of food, I argued, in order to touch their taste buds with the confidence of wholesomeness had to look and smell disgusting. A sage and pork sausage I decided would not match this criteria unless it had first been subjected to several days in the sun, so that fly and fly maggot might reduce it to a suitable condition, and I decided the Compost Pile environment a perfect place for such a transformation. I tossed the sausage onto the then Compost Pile, it landed comfortably close to the Turkey Vulture, who eyed it suspiciously. Odd thing about sage and pork sausages that are produced by the corporate world is their ability to hold their own against all comers. Three days later the Turkey Vulture was gone but the sage and pork sausage was still there and quite untransformed by its experience. Either way, given my own current preoccupation with the Compost Pile Naming Sentence, and the more recent appearance of another Turkey Vulture on and around the Compost Piles, I have to think that the community of Turkey Vulture are attempting to contribute to the process.

No comments: