Friday, September 5, 2014

Self Interviews and Compost Pile Sentences

    There are exceptions like Nietzsche of course, but generally with  the big writers, the famous names, like a Hegel or a Heidegger or a Genet, or an Elberry, a person doesn't really think of them as men wrote their own interviews. I can understand an Arthur A Pennyfinger writing his own interview, or whoever that writer was who created Lemmy Caution of the FBI, writing his own interview, but even so there's something fundamentally wrong with writing your own interview, but I guess in a world not that dedicated to doing the right thing a person has to follow custom and practice rather than pontificate about right and wrong.  And too there's a whole literature out there dedicated to writing your own interview. The points to press home, the importance of being dedicated to your craft, the usefulness of the semi-colon, and a generally respectful and positive attitude, and horribly enthusiastic. And you can be directed to read what may or may not be the self interviews of others, which once accomplished can on occasion really put a person off even thinking about reading a writer's book.

The place to start I'm told, is with a list of questions.  Some of them incredibly ridiculous such as "Where do you write?" An obvious answer to which is "A yurt on top of a mountain, where do you think I write." But one can get the drift of what is expected of both interviewer and interviewee, even if both entities appear in the same person. One can consider it a dualism and buckle under, which is something I am going to have to do, and as some might know I have indeed listened or tried to listen to and answer my own questions for a long time. The question "Why do you write?" is a regular on the self interview circuit, and after deep study I have noticed the answer to it sets the tone for subsequent questions.  And too, I fully appreciate that delving into "Why do you write?" can result in a series of primal screams, one such primal scream has given me an opportunity to better understand my current obsession with Compost Pile Naming Sentences. It's a delaying tactic on my part.  A frailty that has to stop because Compost Piles are clearly anarchist in their desire to remain anonymous, and they have powers that are way beyond my ability to fathom.

No comments: