Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A Winter Wonderland

Once many years ago during what was laughably called "A Record Cold Spell" and it did seem cold, with temperatures failing to meet a day time high of 40F for three successive days and nighttime temperatures sinking into the upper 20F's I desperately mumbled at a most knowledgeable drinking companion, "How do they manage in somewhere like Ulan Bator!"

"They make beer out of Dromedary Milk," he answered. And true, due to the record low temperatures  the local ale was chilled to the point of being pretty much flavorless. But then realizing that my reference to Ulan Bator had to do with the cruel weather rather than the quality of the refreshment, he added "They're used to it over there." Well if I ever see my old friend again, I'm going to tell him he had no idea what he was talking about.

2 comments:

Gin said...

If you listen to Lexington's weather alarmist forecaster, there's a possibility of -23...and that's NOT wind chill. Makes me almost wish I were a praying person who could beg of the gods.

tim candler said...

I'm beginning to think the gods hibernate through winter. Can't blame them, if I was one I certainly would.