Friday, June 3, 2016

My Chair

As a person I share the descended larynx with the Cat. Which means we are both pretty good at making noises. Unlike the Cat I can use my tongue to shape those noises in a great many different ways. And sometimes I fondly believe that the noises I make as a result of using my tongue can be understood by the Cat. Sadly in moments of panic, when imagination runs toward stories of Eagles feeding live Cats to their giant nestlings Eagles, the only noise that will distract the Cat from her dangerous pursuit of an evening Rabbit, is the sound of a spoon tapping her food bowl.

I remember when the grandchild visited. Like the Cat she was very reluctant to come when called. She'd wander off and no amount of cleanly annunciated verbal explanation from me would return her to the fold. The Artist of course has a certain ferocity, a commanding figure when it suits, she had no trouble gathering up the grandchild. And she has these same abilities when it comes to the Cat, no question of The Artist ever having to tap a food bowl. I don't know what it is, but I suspect it might have something to do with my own craven cowardice around what I once used to think of as My Chair.

4 comments:

Gin said...

I don't view it as craven cowardice. I think of it more of as a gentleness of spirit and a kindness that is extended not only to the human race, but to the animal world, as well. (Does that make you feel better?)

tim candler said...

Thanks, Gin. I'll work on that excellent theory whenever I'm tempted to put a loaded mousetrap on the empty chair.

Gin said...

TIM!!! You wouldn't even consider that...er, would you????

tim candler said...

No Gin!!! That would be an unwarranted escalation. I'm a craven coward don't forget! Dread to think how There might retaliate if I did something like that. When it's my turn for the chair, she lies on the carpet behind the chair, and flicks her tail in such a way that it slaps quite noisily against the carpet in a far from relaxing manner. With There we're not dealing with a peaceable cat here. I'm just grateful for the chair when I can get it. There'll be no mousetraps anywhere near the chair. I wouldn't dare.